Background & Objectives
Video has never been more important for universities as a way to showcase student life, campus facilities and the unique prospect they can offer Chinese students.
The UK is now the Number 1 student destination for Chinese students. However, with that opportunity comes increased competition, making cutting through the noise harder than ever.
Firstly, Chinese students are more sophisticated when it comes to making their decisions, researching on average 15+ channels, as well as sourcing third-party reviews as part of their process. Secondly, and more importantly, Chinese students want content that not only meets their needs for inspiration and information but also resonates with them on an emotional level, motivating them to act and ultimately apply.
Video is a critical component in attracting Chinese students, but significant thought needs to be placed on storyboarding.
The University of Surrey, a UK institution dedicated to life-changing education and research, was looking to:
- Build strong brand awareness among Chinese students and their parents, as they start their university selection process.
- Generate positive User Generated Content & social buzz to help boost Feb & Sep 2021 intake applications in a unique environment.
In order to generate the best possible ROI for a GenZ focused campaign , we sourced a KOL with a talent for storytelling who had an authentic connection with the University. , we focused on targeting potential student audiences, by:
- Create a video highlighting strategic talking points, taking advantage of high impact storytelling content styles. Showcasing Surrey student life, facilities and the campus.
- Leverage video as the core asset in a digital campaign targeting Chinese prospective students.
What We Did
To stand out in a competitive market and achieve strong top-of-mind awareness, we needed to give the University of Surrey a unique and comprehensive brand story, and a campaign that filtered through multiple channels and touchpoints. We achieved this by:
- Sourcing and booking of KOLs that matched Surrey’s brand, target audience, and objectives, with authentic brand connections wherever possible.
- Creation of an “on campus” video, including storyboarding, management, and distribution
- Creation of assets and campaign content for Chinese social media platforms
Video views 2.7 million
Total Engagements: 4,795+
Shared: 1,748 times
75+ positive student reviews have been posted online as a result of the campaign, building student confidence in choosing the University of Surrey.